Another perfect weather day, although a bit warmer, into the mid 80s by afternoon. We drove the first 60 miles on US 50 from Ely to a neat "oasis" for breakfast. We've stopped here before so we knew it was worth the wait! Its called "Border Inn" and it includes a restaurant, casino, motel, gas station, RV park, c-store....anything you could want. 60 miles from Ely and 90 miles across the desert to the nearest town going east, Delta, Utah. That 60 miles from Ely to Border is beautiful - up and over a pass about 7700 feet.
Although it is Memorial Day, we didn't notice much traffic until we got to I-15, where US 50 crosses and continues east. Northbound on I-15 was pretty heavy!
The views and extraordinary geological features from Salina and for the next 100 miles or so heading east on I-70 are awesome. Rest areas featured Native Americans selling their artwork. After that it gets pretty desolate until you get to Green River and Grand Junction. We checked in at an Econolodge in G. J. (quite nice, actually!) and met our friends Bryan and Ann who are kinda sorta following our route in their camper. We had a nice Italian dinner at the restaurant next door. We'll meet up with them tomorrow in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, about 70 miles south of here.
 |
| US 50 The Jefferson Highway |
 |
| Border Inn |
 |
| Dry Lake Bed - pure white alkali |
 |
| I-70 |
No comments:
Post a Comment